Tuesday 1 February 2011

Cake Fest

Oh my!  Birthdays at work mean stuffing one's face and today was one of those days.  TWO birthdays and THREE different cakes.  It's lovely-I love cake-but the sad thing is that I'm unable to have just one of the three.  In my office we have abandoned the tradition of buying cakes for everyone else when it's your birthday (Why am I buying gifts for everyone else on MY birthday? Surely it goes against the whole selfish point of birthdays...).  Instead one person has a list of everyone's birthdays and makes a cake for them (I make the one for her birthday-I have a much better deal).

So today we had:

-some special diabetic cupcakes for one colleague's birthday of which I had a quarter (although these were the healthy ones so I should have pigged out)
-chocolate fairy cakes with butter icing.  Lots of sugar in these-yum!
(looks awful in my picture but really pretty in real life)
-a small piece of chocolate and coconut brownie.  These were made by someone else for a dinner party (I gave her the recipe I use from Good Food Magazine) and were also delicious.
(this looks even worse due to it being far away and half eaten)

The moral of this story is that I should probably work from home on people's birthdays as my willpower is non-existent.

Further gluttonous behaviour included:

Canteen Porridge with (my own) Honey

Different shaped polystyrene box, same filth from the canteen.  There were hard black bits in this porridge.  I choose to believe these were burnt bits and I'm sticking to it.  I should point out that I don't make honey; I just keep a jar in my drawer at work.

Ancho Shredded Chicken Fajita Burrito from http://www.picantemexicangrill.co.uk/ 

This was massive and a bit expensive for an everyday lunch (£5.75) but it was soooo good.  The ingredients tasted nice and fresh and they asked how hot you wanted the sauce (I went for medium but think I needed hot).  The queues were out the door so not great if you're in a rush but it's well worth the wait if you have the time.  I'l be trying the quesadillas next! 

Boursin Stuffed Chicken Breast with Mash, Beans and Broccoli

Pretty simple dinner but I love it.  Good for a post 'Big Shop' meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment