Monday 21 February 2011

Ashamed

This is how I feel about most of the food I've eaten over the past couple of days.  I really thought this blog would force me to eat more healthily/more interestingly.  I'm working on the interesting but the healthy element is proving a lot tougher.  Cocktails seems to be the main hindrance here...

Saturday night involved Nandos.  I like to think Nandos is one of the healthier fast (ish) food establishments.  How bad can grilled chicken be for you? But with the chicken comes Peri Peri chips (why would you have the plain ones?) and creamy coleslaw; not so healthy. A group of 4 of us ordered:


Jumbo Platter (I got carried away so plate scrapings are all you get to see here)

Two whole chickens and 5 large sides.  This is a bargain for such a large amount of food and it took a lot of self control not to eat lots of it.  I restrained myself and had just a quarter of chicken and tried to be good with the sides but the Peri Peri chips were taunting me and, while everyone else was still eating, I found my hand kept slipping over to the large plate of chips.  I would probably have been better off having another quarter of chicken.

Nandos was followed by wine and cocktails...

Sunday morning involved feeling very ropey.  I contemplated making a bacon sandwich but I decided this was way too labour intensive for my bleary-eyed self.  What I really wanted were hash browns or potato waffles but I didn't have any in the freezer and no way was I venturing outside.  So I resorted to:


Be Good To Yourself Oven Chips

More chips!  I disgust myself sometimes but at least I can feel safe in the knowledge that these were low fat...  To cancel this mildly virtuous feeling I had:


Carte D'Or Vanilla Ice Cream

I did not eat all of this though.  I don't really like ice cream (don't judge me).


Dinner was a much better affair:


Roast Duck Leg, Roast Potatoes and Parsnips and Green Beans

Writing this blog has highlighted the amount of duck we eat.  Twice in one week this week! We're keeping duck farmers in business...

Today I ate:


Last of the Pasturma


Haddock Fishcake with Celeriac Remoulade

This is from the local gastropub.  Clearly I'm a creature of habit because I find it difficult to not have this when I go there.


Chicken Stuffed with Boursin and Wrapped in Pancetta with Mash and Beans

Basically meat and two veg but better.  We used the Jamie Oliver method of cooking the chicken in a pan with damp baking paper over it.  Works a treat!






No comments:

Post a Comment