Wednesday 16 February 2011

Football Blues

The football's on hence me writing my blog earlier than usual.  I didn't eat anything interesting today so I'll start with my consumption from yesterday evening:


Jamie Oliver's Pan Fried Sea Bass (Haddock) with Asian Greens and Sweet Potato Mash

We decided to try another 30 Minute recipe but what a surprise, Sainsbury's didn't have half the things we needed.  It's getting ridiculous now.  There was no sea bass on the fish counter although there were some puny bits wrapped in the fridge at a cost of £6.50! For a midweek dinner? Don't think so.  This haddock was on offer and was a bargain but quite frankly, it was a bad substitute.  The skin was meant to go crispy but it basically disintegrated in the pan.  Awful.  

They had also run out completely of fennel seeds which we needed for this and another dish this week.  Did everyone get Jamie's book at the weekend?  Or is there snow forecast and people are panic buying?  There was also no red chicory, no Don Simon Orange Juice (with bits) and no Sheba cat food.  People seem to buy things purely when they're on offer even though they would never buy them normally and Sainsbury's don't bother to stock extra.  It makes me mad!!!

Back to the above dinner, it was only ok.  The fish would have been better f it was sea bass and the sweet potato was way too sweet as it had mango chutney mixed in.  I knew this would be too sweet but thought I should trust in Jamie.  Yesterday he abused my trust.  


M&S Millionaire Shortbread Dessert

This was so sweet and sickly I only managed about two thirds of it and the second third was harrowing.  Intermittent sips of tea helped but the final third would have been a step too far.


Crumpets

One with butter; one with butter and marmite.  This was breakfast this morning, not a midnight snack.


Tuna, Cheese and Olive Pitta

This looks like something I've picked up on the way home from a heavy night on the town... I made it whilst sober in my kitchen.


Homemade Sausage Rolls

I used another Jamie recipe but I used sausage meat instead of chipolatas.  They also have fennel seeds (I got some from a Turkish supermarket today) and parmesan in them.  Possibly the best sausage rolls I've tasted.  Move over Gregg's.  I made some cheese ones with leftover pastry but these were burnt and disgusting.  You can't win 'em all!


Duck Breast, Potato Gratin and Pak Choi

I'm trying to expand my culinary repertoire and I think I'm doing alright, but sometimes you have to resort to an old faithful.



Cherry Ripe (in case you couldn't get it from the photo)

My friend sent these from Australia.  Thank you!!!! Looking forward to eating one with a cup of tea in front of the new series of Master Chef (which is bound to annoy me as they've changed it).








No comments:

Post a Comment