Saturday 19 February 2011

#Meateasy

I visited this much hyped burger joint last night for two reasons 1) it was reviewed by Marina O'Loughlin in the Metro and I generally trust her views as she certainly doesn't mince her words 2) it's very close to where I live and places for good food round here are very few and far between although there are some hidden jewels.

We were a bit apprehensive when we got there as we're really not cool enough for obscure student venues (I'm listening to cheesy pop while I write this). I was worried the place would be filled with brightly coloured skinny jeans, oversized non-prescription glasses and people talking about Skins.  I was also worried that I wouldn't find it.  I was right to worry about the latter; we walked straight past it and got a bit confused. Luckily as we finally got to the entrance a kind man assured us we were in the right place and directed us up the stairs.  They're doing the pub up and the owners have allowed the #meateasy guys to use the upstairs as their Meat Wagon was stolen. This meant bare walls and floors on our way in and increased apprehension.

The 'restaurant' itself, however, was far more welcoming.  Dimly lit and noisy with excited chattering, we were greeted by a waitress who told us how it all worked. You get given a raffle ticket, choose what you want from the menus on the walls (a maximum of 3 items per person) and wait for your number to be called for you to place your order and pay.  We were really confused by this at first but after a few minutes of watching what everyone else was doing we got the hang of it.  Drinks are served at a separate bar on the other side of the room.  There are no menus but the bar staff are happy to create a cocktail of your choice and they serve locally brewed beer which is a nice touch.

Finally the food...


Dead Hippy Burger, Onion Rings, Chilli Cheese Fries, Buffalo Wings and Chilli Cheese Burger (not mine)

Wow! The food came quickly (I'd heard of 2 hour waits but we waited about 15 minutes in total to order and for the food to arrive) and it was amazing.  The burgers were gorgeously pink (they don't ask you how you want them so beware if you like yours cremated), the onion rings massive and crispy and the buffalo wings were the best I've ever tasted. Crispy with a hint of chilli and not covered in E-number rich barbecue sauce.  The fries were good but it was just too much what with all the other stuff; I'd go for standard fries next time.  The only downside was the food envy I had when my boyfriend showed me his massive gherkin (ahem) whereas mine was all chopped up in the sauce.  You live and learn...  I'll definitely be going back before this place goes back to being a burger van.  I'm hoping they decide to make it a permanent fixture in New Cross.  I'd happily become a regular.

The other less exciting stuff I've eaten includes:


Poached Egg on Toast


Leftover Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes

Today:


Pasturma

You may remember me moaning about the poor substitute sausages I bought a few weeks ago.  This is the proper stuff and it was yum!


The Dining room Pork and Cannellini Bean Soup

A new and more expensive branch of the New Covent Garden Soup brand.  This was ok but it's just soup.  These new ones seem to have more saturated fat than the old style so be warned.


Homemade Sausage Rolls

Two to accompany the soup.






No comments:

Post a Comment