Monday 7 March 2011

Riches to Rags

This is the best way to describe how Friday's food (and drink) progressed. It started with a simple bowl of cereal which was only really to get the metabolism going ready for our early lunch at Dinner by Heston.


Cereal

I'm not going to give a full blown review of the event for two reasons:
1) There have already been about a million press and blogger reviews
2) Those people are probably better placed to write a proper review based on how my intake progressed that day (you'll see)

We arrived early so were seated in the Mandarin Oriental bar where we started with a glass of champagne (why not, we'd taken the day off). These were taken to our table and we were given our menus. Obviously, the main reason we'd come was the opportunity to sample Heston's food at the Skinnier Duck price of the £28 set lunch. We were only given the a la carte menu though so we had to ask specifically for the set menu. This annoys me as it's like they're trying to guilt trip you for being a big fat cheapskate (obviously this practice is not reserved for Dinner alone). Aside from this though the service was amazing from each and every member of staff that spoke to us (and there were lots which makes me hope that the tips get split evenly).

One other small gripe before we get on to the food is the menu itself which just names the dishes (some of which are quite obscure) which means you have to ask what it is. The staff are more than happy to help but you could be there all day if you wanted to know what everything was. I was happy to take a punt on the restricted set menu which meant that I was forced to try things I might not normally have e.g:



Ragoo of Pigs Ears

This was quite nice but I felt like it needed something acidic to cut through the richness. I was very proud to not be grossed out by it. Perhaps if it was served up as a whole ear it would be a different story.

We agreed beforehand we were going to get the famous Meat Fruit to start and share it...



Meat Fruit

It was well worth it. It looked amazing and was the smoothest, richest, tastiest parfait I've ever tasted. If only it was on the set menu (they clearly know what they're doing)!

The main was:



Roast Quail

This was gorgeous. Lovely pink quail with roast parsnips and parsnip mash. The jus (or gravy as I like to call it) was really something. Plate cleaned.

I had a taste of my friend's main:



Powdered Duck

This was almost Chinese style duck and the creamed potatoes that came with it were creamy and salty; perfect.



Chocolate Wine

This was the oddest of the courses but was a really good combo. It had a warm winey hot chocolate with a rich but not sickly (partly because of the salted caramel flakes)  Millionaire Shortbread on the side.

My friend went for:



British Cheeseboard

At £10, probably the best value cheeseboard around. No scrimping on the cheese and a nice range. Finally:



Earl Grey Mousse with Caraway Shortbread

This was instead of petit fours and was gorgeous. A lovely surprise after returning from the ladies.

So all in all a positive experience, particularly for the set lunch and the excellent service. Be warned though, it's more gastropub kind of food rather than the crazy science stuff in the Fat Duck.

Lunch was followed by a few gastro cocktails from JJ Goodman's (off Raymond Blanc's 'The Restaurant') London Cocktail Club.


Cheese and Pineapple Gele

Jager Oyster

Honey Bee

Again we got very good service (from Goodman himself) despite accidentally and very loudly crashing a sophisticated gin tasting.

Our own sophistication disappeared when we moved on to Wetherspoons and had the following:


Cheeky Vimtoes and Jager Bombs

Nachos

More Cheeky Vimto


Finally ending with:



Big Mac Meal

...and a Charlotte Church style, cheeky vimto fuelled strop off (sorry guys!).

Saturday was surprisingly hangover free but I still had:



Bacon and Cherry Tomato Sandwich

Dressed Crab

I had a craving.



Mixed Seafood Mariniere

This looked nicer than it was. Never trust 2 for £5 seafood.



Homemade Lasagne

Yum.

Sunday's breakfast was:


Pasturma


Pizza Express Etna Pizza

2 for 1 offer. Can't go wrong. I love Pizza Express although I don't like the warning they always give me when I order a spicy pizza. I can handle it!

I went to the cinema so:



Popcorn

I didn't enjoy it thanks to Heston's show the other day. I felt massively ripped off. Are they actually going to introduce any of his ideas?! I reckon not.



Curry Goat (lamb)

They don't sell goat in Sainsbury's but this Levi Roots recipe works just as well with lamb. Got scotch bonnets in my nails though. Ouch!

Last morsel was:



Rum Cake from Barbados

Bit too boozy for my liking but went with the Caribbean theme.



Today I had:


Cereal


Leftover Curry on a Jacket Potato

Fruit Ryvita (cardboard)

Snack Sushi

Homemade Carbonara

Phew! I have learned a valuable lesson; don't leave it three days between posts.

And don't drink Cheeky Vimto.





No comments:

Post a Comment