Tuesday 25 January 2011

'A Wee Dram on Burns Night'

This is the phrase I've been using to practice my Scottish accent for the past few days ready for tonight.  To be honest, I have no idea what a dram is. Is it a sip?  A kind of glass or cup? Whatever it is, I know it's something to do with whiskey and Scotland.  Anyway I've not been very successful with my Scottish accent (I'm not very good at any accent) and apparently I say 'A Wee Dram etc' like the Count from Sesame Street.

Plan B for my Burns Night celebration of all things Scottish was to eat like a Scot.  The only thing for it was haggis with neeps and tatties.  Lo and behold Sainsbury's was sold out of the swede needed for the neeps part.  Sold out of swede?!?!?  Surely there aren't that many people celebrating this Scottish occasion in the depths of South East London.

As a substitute we had haggis with mashed potato (I think this constitutes as 'tatties') and leeks (the Welsh national symbol).


Now I had tried haggis before and I think I thought it was ok but I couldn't eat much of it (so maybe slightly below ok) but I thought I should give it another go.  It turned out to be quite nice with a bit of gravy; like dried out, spicier, oatier black pudding.  Not bad but the one negative for me is that I do not like the smell.  It really smells bad.  Oh and if you're thinking of trying it and you have a slightly weaker stomach than most, DON'T READ THE INGREDIENTS!

So that was where my Burns Night tribute began and ended.  Didn't even have a wee dram...


To stay in keeping with the theme of the blog, here's a selection of the other things I've eaten today (minus lunch-as it was the same as yesterday-and a few Maoam that were still on my desk from yesterday which gave me a headache):

 'Be Good to Yourself' Hot Crossed Bun (Breakfast)

Chicken and Noodle Slim-A-Soup (my colleague described the smell of this as stale cigarette smoke and meaty farts-delicious!)

Toast with Marmite


No comments:

Post a Comment