Wednesday 26 January 2011

Crisp Connoisseur

Is there such a thing?  If there is, can I earn money doing it?  I think it would be one of my dream jobs because I love crisps.  If I had to choose between no more chocolate or no more crisps I'd have to keep hold of the crisps.  After all, chocolate and beer/cider do not work well and chocolate does not taste good in a tuna mayo sandwich.

The reason for my potato snack(wheat and maize also included) ramblings is the launch of the new Walkers flavours.  These are in aid of Comic Relief and four comedians have been given their own flavour.  I believe there is some kind of vote for the best flavour and it's all for a very worthy cause but, to be frank, the charity element is a side note in my quest for crispy perfection.  It's all about the crisp eating for me and, as I have done for previous Walker's flavour promotions, I've bought a packet of each to decide which is my favourite.  So night one (I'm limiting myself to one a night):

Frank Skinner Roast Dinner

Now I like Frank Skinner and I like roast dinners so this should have been a match made in heaven, but like a gloomy Sunday at a West Bromwich Albion game (as if I've ever experienced this-I'm trying to set a Frank Skinner influenced scene) these crisps were bland.  They basically taste like roast chicken crisps but less salty.  Disappointed.  Unless the other flavours are really awful, Frank won't be getting my vote.

The rest of my eatings today were:

Another canteen breakfast of Tomatoes on Toast.  I think if you put a Michelin starred meal in one of the boxes from our canteen, no matter how much dry ice it contained, it would still make it look bland and miserable.  This is how I start my days so is it any wonder the clock watching starts at 9am?

 A friend bought these yummy homemade cookies in to work.  Thank heavens for small mercies.

Boots Meal Deal.  This is the lunch I have when I'm either broke or in a rush.  Today it was the latter and I ate the egg mayo sandwich on a bus.  Got egg all down my chin.  Uninspiring lunchtime.

This looks a bit like yesterdays haggis relived but it's actually a lovely home made Chilli Con Carne.  The photo really doesn't do it justice because it was nice.  My only regret is that I didn't put a jacket in the oven early as rice just doesn't do it for me.

Looking back, this was an inspiring day of eats.  Must try harder.









No comments:

Post a Comment