Sunday 30 January 2011

That Saturday Feeling...

So entitled because after a few glasses of red I got caught up in Take Me Out and Benidorm (highbrow I know) and couldn't drag myself to the computer to update my blog.  So in order to avoid watching the tennis I shall do it now.

Breakfast was the most disappointing of my meals yesterday.  I was still on the Egyptian food tip and was planning to have a dish called Pastirma.  This is claimed by many mediterranean countries as theirs and has loads of different spellings and probably different ways of serving but that's how I know it.  It's something we always had as a breakfast dish and is basically beef cured with different spices.  We normally cut it up and cook with eggs to make a kind of spicy bacon and eggs.  We normally have it with the flat bread that I had on Friday.

On this occasion however, they had run out at the Turkish supermarket.  Disaster!  So instead we resorted to buying 'Cypriot pastirma sausages' (this was under duress-I knew they would disappoint).  And disappoint they did:

Pastirma Sausages and Egg

It tasted as good as it looks.  Nothing like the normal pastirma.   The sausages were a lot more like chorizo.  Not good for breakfast.

Lunch was:

Rainbow Sushi Selection from Wasabi

Shared this quickly before going to the cinema.  Look how colourful and healthy it looks!  So unlike me!  It doesn't matter how many times I try or how many times people try to teach me, I still can't use chopsticks.  I have developed my own primitive way of holding them which does the job but it often involves a lot of spillage.  I saw on Saturday Kitchen yesterday that it's bad luck to stab your food with chopsticks.  That explains a lot...

Hugely Overpriced Sweet Popcorn and Diet Coke

That's the official name for the above.  Almost £8! Daylight robbery.  

Malaysian Beef Curry
This was a recipe from Atul Kochhar in Delicious Magazine.  Looked lovely in the pictures but as soon as I see I need to buy a hundred spices to make a recipe I'm out.  Luckily my friend is not so easily deterred and made up a load of spice mix and gave me some.  Winner.  So we made the curry yesterday and it was delicious.  Probably the best curry I've ever had at home that hasn't been delivered.  Highly recommend (if you have a friend to make the spice mix).

Blueberry Tart

Naughty treat from Tesco.  I only had half a slice so that made me feel better about myself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment