Tuesday 17 May 2011

Come Dine With Me Anxiety

We had friends round for dinner on Friday night. Cooking for other people automatically puts pressure on me but as these were our former competitors in our own version of CDWM it was very hard to get out of competition mode. I didn't go all out this time but I did feel a bit like I was going to be marked.  This is probably why my first pavlova turned out like this:
Disaster Meringue
Typical.  So despite my forward planning and making this the night before I had to make a new one.

The rest of the dinner was:
Nibbles
Instead of a starter I made some crispy pitta things and a cream cheese and pesto dip as well as some goats cheese and figs wrapped in parma ham.  Not too much effort but still nice.
Italian Chicken, Pancetta and Bean Stew
This was really easy to make and very tasty-I think we'll have it again. I served it with a Jamie Oliver tomato salad which was really nice despite my reservations. Salting the tomatoes really worked!
Final Pavlova
This was much better than my original but having lazily bought extra thick cream I had the disaster of it being so dense that it broke the meringue. It turned out ok but next time some old fashioned whipping needs to take place.

My other weekend eatings were:
Courgette and Sweetcorn Burger
This was at the newly opened New Cross House and was really rather nice. I never go for the veggie option but this was a winner. I'll definitely be back to sample some of their pizza from the wood fired pizza oven!
Chinese Takeaway
I wish I could say I was healthy and just had this soup but I actually just gobbled the rest up without taking a picture. Perfect Eurovision food!
Dipping Egg
Dinner was at The Anchor in Hullbridge:
Lobster Bisque
The croutons were too salty but otherwise a nice dish.
Roast Chicken
Nice enough but I wish places didn't substitute their normal menu for a Sunday Roast one. Not everyone's that traditional!
Grand Desserts
We almost didn't have a dessert-what a mistake that would have been! A lovely selection of mini desserts with the Sticky Toffee Pudding outshining the rest for me.
M&S Ham and Egg Roll
Babybel Light
M&S Chicken Thing and Potato Things
Quick and easy.  Tasted alright.
Jacket Potato with Tuna Mayo and Olives
Working from home today so I could make a half decent lunch. I was still hungry though so I had:
Kripbread with Butter on one and Boursin on the other
Bit random but there's not much in the house. Hopefully the big shop tonight will bring some treats for the week ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment