Wednesday 6 April 2011

Ice Lolly Season Begins

It seemed everyone was talking about ice lollies today (well a few people on Twitter) and the thought of buying one crossed my mind several times but it seems that shopkeepers were not prepared; I went to 4 different shops and none of them had any Fabs or Twisters!  Surely these are two of the most popular lollies and I'm sure they hadn't simply sold out.  You would expect that April would be the month to start stocking up on all things icy, particularly based on the climate of the past few years.  My suggestion to shopkeepers is: check the weather forecast!

Despite my rant, 5th time lucky:

Fab

Apparently there's a new Apple and Blackcurrant flavour.  I hope to try one soon.

On Monday I ate:

Beef and Horseradish Sandwich

Quavers

Fruit Salad

Japanese Soup

Leftover Pavlova

Yesterday I ate:

Toasted Baguette with Marmite

Did you know stale bread could be revived by a toaster?  Sort of.

Tuna and Olive Roll

Ready Salted French Fries

Chocolate Mousse

I'm supposed to be eating out a few times this week so it's only right I should have packed lunches to save money.

I got a bit cocky after my amazing pavlova.  I also had a lot of egg whites leftover.  I thought I would try making macaroons.  I shouldn't have bothered.

A Mess

I followed the recipe rigidly and yet there was way too much dry mixture compared to meringue which led to a gooey, stodgy mess.  I honestly think the measurements were wrong on the recipe.  It wasn't my fault.  Anyway this was as far as it got; nowhere near the baking sheet let alone the oven.  

I don't even like macaroons much.  I like them less now.

Chicken and Spinach Pasta

Today I ate:

Baked Beans on Toast

Dorset Blue Vinney (and Cornish Yarg)

A friend bought these cheeses into work.  I've been picking at them all day.  Whoops!

Corned Beef and Branston Pickle Roll (plus Salt and Vinegar French Fries)

I prefer naked corned beef (i.e. without bread) scavenged from the fridge but this is the next best thing.


Sausage and Chorizo Goulash

Again.  Not very summery but much like the aforementioned shopkeepers, I didn't check the weather before I went shopping.  Hypocrite.


No comments:

Post a Comment