Sunday 3 April 2011

BBQ Season Begins

The first glimmer of sunshine and a double figure temperature means that the whiff of burnt sausages filled the air in Blighty this weekend.  And rightfully so since the glowy warmth of stews and pies is soon tiresome once Christmas is over and done with.  So off to our friends' we trotted with Prosecco and halloumi in hand (paltry offerings but they already had everything else), ready to start the summer.  So I open with:

BBQ Food

This included burgers with obligatory plastic cheese, halloumi kebabs, chicken and Giggly Pig Caribbean sausages (http://www.gigglypig.co.uk/). Their strapline is 'No fat or crap in our sausages'-genius.  You might be able to see in the corner of the picture a bowl of salad-I'm not ashamed to say I did not touch this.  It would have just taken up valuable meat space!

The night ended with:

Chocolate Cupcake (yum!)

Yesterday I also ate:

Blacksticks Blue and French Brie with Baguette

Healthy day!

Today I ate:
Toasted Baguette with Marmite

A Mother's Day pub lunch at The Talbot pub:

Veal, Foie Gras and Lamb Shortbread Terrine

It said 'shortbread' but I'm not sure if that's a real thing.  I presume they meant 'sweetbreads'.  It was good anyway and luckily jelly-free (not a fan of jelly-it feels weird).

Confit Duck Leg, Dauphinoise and Red Cabbage

The duck and potatoes were gorgeous but the cabbage had cherries involved and was too sweet for my taste.  It's a pretty standard combo with duck but I just don't like fruit in my savoury meals.  So there.

And the piece de resistance:

Pavlova

I made my first meringue yesterday and the whole thing was a triumph, even if I do say so myself.  I don't even like meringue but since my first taste of pavlova a few months ago I've wanted to make my own.  It went down well and will definitely get another outing soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment