Friday 1 July 2011

Blog Envy

The other day my friend sent me a link to a rival food blog which looked extremely beautiful. It's not that I'm competing (except I am very competitive) but when I mentioned the gorgeous pictures, my friend said 'that's something for you to aspire to'. Charming! But I'm not going to change. My blog is a bit like when you cook something that looks rubbish and tastes alright; it's rustic. Quite frankly my iPhone camera is not going to take the best photos in the world and there's no way that I could faff around with a proper camera while my food gets cold just so my blog looks pretty (unless someone offers to pay me a lot of money to do so!). You're stuck with the 'rustic' blog until further notice.

Sadly, no interesting eats this week despite my moaning last week:
 Babybel
Opened in the worst possible way. Disaster.
 Madras
This was also a disaster. I used a Pathak's curry paste but then put too much tomato in which left it not very curry-like.  So I added a load of other spices from the cupboard thus rendering the paste useless. It was pretty bland in the end. Disappointing.
 Leek, Asparagus and Parma Ham Tart
Remembered the leek this time.
 Carbonara
We saw Rick Stein making this on Saturday Kitchen and thought we'd give his version a go. It was pretty good although not as saucy as his looked.
 BBQ Burgers
We don't have a garden so we had to do this in a public space. Not really sure of the rules about this but we were very responsible and didn't burn the grass (unlike some other people around us and ourselves last year). No one seemed to be bothered and the police even drove past a couple of times so it must be alright...These were nice Taste the Difference Beef Burgers.
 Special K
To alleviate the guilt of the BBQ and the Chinese that followed that evening. Special K has magical slimming qualities (in my head) much like Diet Coke.
 More Tart
 More Carbonara
This time we used too much of the cooking water and it was a step away from soup. A happy medium between the two carbonaras needs to be found.
 Fab
One of the more virtuous of the ice lollies.
 Roll with Stuffed Pork and Mustard
 Muller Chocolate and Orange Yoghurt
One of my friends has decided chocolate and orange doesn't go together. Try telling Terry's/Dawn French (and now Muller) that.
 Sirloin Steak from The Talbot
I normally like their food but this was overcooked and as it was the most expensive thing on the menu I was pretty disappointed. 
 New Fave M&S Sandwich
 Pot Noodle Cup Noodle
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I really like these noodles the fact that this photo looks like something distressing has occurred in a public toilet bowl. 
 Scallops and Chorizo with Avocado Salad
Another old faithful but made with real Spanish chorizo from a friend of a friend's pig farm in Spain. 
 Plain Bagel
 Chocolate and Beetroot Muffin
My friend made these tasty treats which I believe were quite virtuous as there was no fat in the recipe. I'm sticking to that anyway.
 Jacket with a Tiny Bit of Cheese and Beans
Not great. It was one of those potatoes that tasted really potatoey; as if someone had cooked it with compost still surrounding it.
 Japanese Noodle Soup
 Papaya
 Toast
 Fish Finger and Salad Cream Roll
I'm not sure if this is bad for me but I'm going with no as Omega 3 is really good for your brains and stuff.
Homemade Chilli Con Carne
A nice hearty dinner. We added chocolate again which makes me feel cool and cheffy but doesn't seem to make much difference to the flavour. Perhaps it's too subtle for my impatiently burnt taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment