Sunday 9 October 2011

I Love Autumn

Despite the delayed onset of our week long summer, I've fully bought into Autumn and all the lovely produce it has to offer. So today, wrapped up in my new coat (bought in the midst of the heatwave), I made my way to the third Brockley Market. We were immediately drawn to the earthy, autumnal flavours of the squash and beetroot despite having no idea what we would do with the latter. We also bought a pheasant on a whim with little guidance from the surly stall holder. So tonight we had:
Roast pheasant with Roast Beetroot, Dauphinoise Potatoes and Beetroot Leaves
A first attempt at cooking pheasant and, despite the fear of undercooking it, a successful one. The beetroot leaves were a lot like spinach and the beetroot itself was amazing.  Definitely a regular for the Autumn months from now on.

Other recent eatings include:
Quiche with Salad and New Potatoes
Bit of a bland quiche from Brockley Market sadly.
Game Burger and Chips
Again from Brockley Market; a lot like a venison burger this was very tasty without being too fatty.
Squash Risotto with Pancetta
A new type of squash for us but I'm not sure what type it is.  I preferred it to Butternut though as it wasn't as sweet.
Stinking Bishop and Chicken Liver Pate-a continental lunch

A trip to Simply Seafood in Leigh-on-Sea last weekend included:
Tian of Crab
Roast Monkfish Wrapped in Pancetta with Cauliflower and Potato Mash and a Port Reduction
Lovely food and a great location right by the sea but I'm not keen on the name-it sounds like a range from M&S...

No comments:

Post a Comment